FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
TORONTO, October 30, 2021 – David Share, President and Managing Director of Share Lawyers, a Toronto-based law firm specializing in disability law, spoke October 22 at the Ontario Trial Lawyers’ Fall Conference. The conference, held on its all-in-one virtual event platform, was themed The Other Side of Midnight: Post Pandemic Practice. The audience included other lawyers across Canada, most of whom work in the area of personal injury law, but don’t specialize in long term disability claims. David was one of four Ontario long term disability lawyers who took part in a panel discussion centred around long term disability insurance claims. He focused his talk on:
If I’m suffering with Long COVID, can I receive disability benefits?
David covered some of the most pressing issues related to insurance coverage of Long COVID clients. He extracted points from his recently released paper: Long COVID and Long-Term Disability Benefits: What’s in the Policy and How Will Insurers Approach It? Topics he addressed included:
- If you’re suffering with Long COVID, you can receive disability benefits. But you must be covered under a group or individual policy that will insure you in the event that you become disabled.
- Should you work or not? Right now, Long COVID is treated like any other illness or injury you might suffer. Therefore, if you are unable to work and have the medical support for that, you should be able apply for and receive disability benefits.
- What happens if you can’t prove that you ever had COVID-19? It’s not so much that you have to prove, through a definitive diagnosis, that you had COVID-19. What’s important is that the symptoms you’re suffering now and the medical support you’ve been given validate your claim of suffering from Long COVID, or a disabling medical condition.
David also addressed other issues related to Long COVID insurance claims, including:
- What clauses in my disability policy should I watch out for?
- For disability claims, what is the difference between Long COVID and Mental Health claims?
- What is the importance of vaccinations in disability claims?
David’s panel contribution generated active discussion. For him, it’s all about the client: “Every client dealing with a long-term disability claim deserves superior personal service. Long COVID clients are no exception. It’s the job of their legal team to ensure they are fairly compensated by their insurance company.”
About Share Lawyers
Canada’s Leading Disability Insurance Lawyers
Based in Toronto, Share Lawyers serves clients across Canada. Co-founders David Share, President, and Wendy Share, Executive Director, lead a committed staff of over 40 legal and administrative professionals. Together, they have successfully managed thousands of long-term disability insurance claims over the past three decades.
About David Share
President / Managing Director/ Co-founder of Share Lawyers
Practicing law since 1985, David is a member of both the Ontario and the New York Bars; and has spoken at many conferences. David is an Adjunct Professor at Osgoode Hall Law School and an active member of many associations, including the Law Society of Upper Canada, The Advocates’ Society, The Ontario Trial Lawyers Association and the American Association of Justice.
FOR MORE INFORMATION:
Call Share Lawyers to learn more about our services and how we can help you with your individual needs:
Visit our site to book a free consultation about your case with one of our knowledgeable legal specialists: https://www.sharelawyers.com/
And please join us on these sites for the latest updates on long-term disability insurance legislation Canada: