What is the cost of hiring a Disability Lawyer?
Cost Of Hiring A Lawyer
At Share Lawyers, most initial consultations with our lawyers are free. There are no fees until we settle your claim. We understand that our clients have suffered serious injuries or illnesses and are usually under great financial stress. For these reasons, we do not ask our clients to provide any financial contribution at the beginning of the case. We only get paid if we recover money for you. Our fees are calculated as a percentage of the total amounts recovered. The percentage that is applicable to each client’s case is discussed fully before we start and is set out in writing in our retainer agreement, which includes an example of how the fee is calculated, so that there are no surprises when we conclude the case
What are contingency fees?
Contingency fees mean that payment of legal fees is dependent upon success–recovery of compensation or benefits. In many cases, the insurance company will contribute toward part of your legal costs, helping to cover some of the legal fees your case incurs. We really do not charge any fees unless we recover money from the parties pursued in the claim.
What is a disbursement?
Disbursements in a legal matter refer to the expenses incurred over and above the legal fees that you will be charged. For instance, court filing fees, charges for medical and other expert reports, photocopying, scanning, courier deliveries, serving legal documents. In general, these expenses are required to pursue the claim on your behalf.
How much will my lawsuit against the insurance company cost?
Share Lawyers does not require a down payment or retainer from its long-term disability insurance clients. Our lawyers operate on a contingency fee basis, where all costs are covered up front by our firm, and the lawyer collects their fee only when we win or settle your case.
What if I don’t have enough money to hire a lawyer?
At a time when you cannot work and have many medical bills, it is understandable that you have financial concerns, but this should not prohibit you from hiring an experienced lawyer. Share Lawyers offers every client the Share Law Guarantee, which means we won’t charge a fee unless your claim has been settled. With no financial risk, you can move forward with confidence.
Can I pay my doctor to write a medical report for me?
Yes. It is lawful for a doctor in Ontario and other provinces to accept payment from you to write a detailed report. The report should be written by your own doctor or a specialist your doctor has referred you to.
When handling your claim, Share Lawyers will pay for all medical reports related to the case. These costs will be disbursements that will be recovered as part of your case, in whole or in part.
Where can I find free or discounted services to help manage my disability?
Managing your disability can often come with unforeseen expenses. For those needing additional services not covered by your Provincial health plan or employee Benefit plan, it can be challenging to find programs where you can get the help you need without breaking the bank.
Here’s a list of free or significantly discounted services or resources you can utilize to manage your pain:
- Don’t let money be the reason for not taking care of your body.
- Staying active and moving can be a key strategy to helping with your pain. Many community centres offer free access to pools, fitness classes, walking tracks, and not to mention — a community!
- Staying active can help reduce pain, swelling, and inflammation and improve your mental health.
- Being involved in a community and meeting new people can do wonders for your mental health.
- A healthcare professional can advise you on physical activities that can help you manage your condition that you can practice on your own.
To find more information about the free community centres near you, you can consult the Recreation and Parks website in or closest to your city or town for more information.
Pay-What-You-Can (PWYC) Services and Student Clinics
- Some clinics and organizations recognize the expenses of self-care can be prohibitive, and offer services for those on a budget. Many Acupuncture clinics offer a sliding scale payment system ranging from $20- $40 per treatment.
- A regular spa or Registered Massage Therapist can typically charge up to $150 (plus HST) for an hour massage. However, if you want to cut your expenses by more than half you can visit a massage therapy school and receive a therapeutic massage from an attentive and eager student. Check out other schools for Shiatsu and Traditional Chinese Medicine that may offer discounted rates. You’ll be interacting with a supervised student who will work diligently with you to help you manage your pain and will be up-to-date with the latest techniques and technologies.
- A peer group can help to reduce a sense of isolation when experiencing pain, illness, or injury. Sharing your stories, hearing about the experiences of others, and being exposed to various resources can be an extremely helpful tool to finding ways to manage and alleviate your pain.
- There are support groups all over Canada for various different conditions and can help with tips and tactics on managing your disability or your symptoms.
- Ask your physician for help in finding out more about these support groups that can help you.
Watch Our Video:
Find out what David Share, President of Share Lawyers and Adjunct Professor at Osgoode Hall Law School, has to say about “no fees unless we win” and what is really means.
SHARE LAW GUARANTEE
- You don’t pay any fees until we WIN your case.
- If we don’t recover money for you, you don’t pay us any fees whatsoever.
- Why is this important? Here at Share Lawyers, we recognize that if you have been denied your benefits or if you are unable to work, the last thing you need is to pay money for a lawyer. We understand that!
- During your initial free consultation, we will show you an example of how this works. We explain everything to you so there are no surprises.
- We know how these cases can be difficult and scary and by offering our Share Law Guarantee, we can take away some of your worries.
Has your disability insurance claim been denied? Contact Share Lawyers and put our experience to work for you.
All initial consultations with our lawyers are free and there are no fees until we win your case.