DID YOU KNOW...
Symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder
The types and severity of BPD symptoms may differ from person to person because people have different predispositions and life histories, and symptoms can fluctuate over time. Common symptoms include:
- emptiness associated with loneliness and neediness
- paranoid thoughts and dissociative states in which the mind or psyche "shuts off" painful thoughts or feelings
- self-image that can change depending on whom the person is with
- impulsive and harmful behaviours such as substance abuse, overeating, gambling or high-risk sexual behaviours
- non-suicidal self-injury such as cutting, burning with a cigarette or overdose that can bring relief from intense emotional pain (onset usually in early adolescence); up to 75 per cent of people with BPD self-injure one or more times
- suicide (about 10 per cent of people with BPD take their own lives)
- intense fear of being alone or of being abandoned, agitation with even brief separation from family, friends or therapist (because of difficulty to feel emotionally connected to someone who is not there)
- impulsive and emotionally volatile behaviours that may lead to the very abandonment and alienation that the person fears
- volatile and stormy interpersonal relationships with attitudes to others that can shift from idealization to anger and dislike (a result of black and white thinking that perceives people as all good or all bad). SP
IN PERSON: Annie Martin (continued from page 1)
She hired Share Lawyers after reading positive online reviews from past clients who had also dealt with addiction issues and denied disability claims.
After reviewing her file, Share Lawyers determined that Annie had at all times fulfilled the terms of her policy by seeking appropriate treatment on an ongoing basis and following her doctors advice. Empire LIfes denial of her claim on the basis that she was still waiting for a specialist disregarded their obligations to their claimant.
RECOVERING HER BENEFITS
Share Lawyers gathered the necessary medical evidence to strengthen Annies case against her insurer. Once
Empire LIfe received the compelling evidence gathered by Share Lawyers, they were ready to negotiate, and Annie received a significant lump-sum settlement.
Annie was grateful to Share Lawyers for negotiating the settlement on her behalf. It gave her the time she needed to seek treatment and come out on the other side a healthier, happier person.
[All names and identifying details have been changed to protect the identity of the individuals mentioned.]SP