A Day In The Life With Lyme Disease

A Day In The Life With Lyme Disease

Lyme disease has recently been brought into the public eye by celebrities such as Avril Lavigne, Shania Twain, and Justin Bieber. It’s an often misdiagnosed illness due to the misconception that it’s easily detectable by a bullseye-shaped rash that only actually appears in roughly 50% of cases, and because the symptoms of the condition (over 50 of them) can occur within days, months, or even years of infection. What’s more is that few people understand just what happens to someone diagnosed with Lyme disease. 

Lilly, one of our recent clients with Lyme disease, was gracious enough to give us a glimpse into what a day in her life was like before she applied for long term disability benefits – before she was no longer able to work. 

After multiple misdiagnoses from various medical professionals over several months, Lilly was finally diagnosed with Lyme disease. Before this final diagnosis, she lived with her husband, Rob, and worked as a bus driver in Ottawa. 

9:00 am

When I wake up in the morning, the first thing I do is hop in the shower. Well, not so much hop as crawl, but that’s just the fatigue. Getting into the shower first thing in the morning helps wake me up before I grab my first cup of coffee from Rob. Some mornings are better than others. Today happens to be pretty moderate. On top of the fatigue I frequently get a ringing in my ears which can sometimes keep me awake at night, and I also experience these strange tingling sensations in my nose and the tip of my tongue. Those are pretty active today, on top of my dizziness and bad balance. Thankfully, I get to sit throughout the day, which helps.

Once I’m done in the shower, Rob helps me get ready by helping me grab whatever I need, and I head to work. 

11:00 am 

I sign in and report for duty before being assigned my bus for the day, and then I’m cleared to head over and get organized. Today it’s taking me a while because of the back and neck pain and stiffness in my hips, but my employers understand. I tend to give myself extra time by showing up very early, just in case. 

1:30 pm 

Here’s where it makes my day really tricky. One of my recent symptoms is diarrhea. It definitely gets in the way, and today it’s making me have to take frequent stops along my route, which delays and rightfully frustrates the riders. Today I’m starting to feel a little disoriented, so I have to call in and request relief, as it’s no longer safe for me to drive. 

6:00 pm

Protocol is to wait for someone to come and relieve me from duty rather than have me drive the bus back to the station unsafely. A colleague came and so did Rob, and he took me home to rest. There’s very little I can do under these circumstances other than wait for the symptoms to subside and try again the next day. 

Lilly knew she had to stop working due to how the disease has affected her everyday life, but instead decided to call Share Lawyers before making a final decision. We’re currently working with her to figure out what the best course of action would be to ensure she can get the help she needs while protecting her family and her livelihood.

Has your long-term disability claim been denied? Contact Share Lawyers and put our experience to work for you. We have recently settled cases against Great-West Life, Desjardins, Manulife, RBC Insurance, Sun Life, and many more. We offer free consultations and there are no fees unless we win your case. Find out if you have a disability case.