Housing Resources in British Columbia

Housing Resources in British Columbia

Choosing a place to live is one of the most important decisions that many of us will make in our lives. That’s also what makes it so difficult. Whether you’re buying, renting, or are somewhere in between, having a roof over your head is essential, and it can be tough to navigate the web of rules and regulations around the housing market. With that in mind, Share Lawyers has put together a list of housing resources for those who live in British Columbia.

British Columbia Housing Resources

Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation: 1-800-668-2642
The CMHC is a national organization that provides Canadians with information about rental housing and home ownership.  

BC Housing: (604) 433-2218 or 1-800-257-775 (Toll Free)
BC Housing partners with other provincial organizations to develop housing and offer housing assistance to people in British Columbia.

BC Ministry of Municipal Affairs & Housing: 1-800-663-7867
The Ministry is in charge of housing policy and regulations for the province of British Columbia, and also provides safe affordable housing through a number of different programs.

The BC Residential Tenancy Branch: (604) 660-1020 (Lower Mainland) or (250) 387-1602 (Victoria) or 1-800-665-8779 (Rest of BC)
The Housing and Tenancy board provides information about a number of different topics for landlords and tenants, including Strata Housing.

Condominium Home Owners Association of BC: (604) 584-2462 (Lower Mainland) or (250) 384-9088 (Vancouver Island) or (250) 868-1195 (Rest of BC)
The CHOA represents the interests of Strata owners, as well as corporations, government agencies, and other related industries.

BC Assessment: 1-866-825-8322
BC Assessment is the independent Crown corporation that handles property tax assessments for the province.

Property Assessment Appeal Board: (604) 775-1740 or 1-888-775-1740
The Appeal Board offers a second layer of oversight for those dissatisfied with their initial tax assessment.

Civil Resolution Tribunal: 1-844-322-2292
The CRT is an online small claims adjudicator that also handles Strata housing disputes outside of court.

Safety Standards Appeal Board: (778) 698-4170
The Safety Standards Appeal Board enforces the Safety Standards Act and hears related housing complains brought before the board.

Seniors Services Society: (604) 520-6621
The Senior Services Society combines three separate programs that offer information and housing assistance to seniors to allow them to continue living independently. It also maintains a directory of senior housing locations.

Tenant Resource Advisory Centre: (604) 255-0546 or 1-800-665-1185
TRAC provides resources and information that help protect the legal rights of BC tenants.

LandlordBC: (604) 733-9440 or 1-888-330-6707 (Toll Free)
LandlordBC is a resource for current and aspiring landlords that offers information and advice about maintaining a rental property in BC.

BC Non-Profit Housing Association: (604) 291-2600 or 1-800-494-8859 (Toll Free)
The BCNPHA represents the province’s non-profit housing sector, which develops and operates thousands of affordable units for residents of British Columbia.

First Nations Housing & Infrastructure Council BC
The FNHIC advocates for the needs of First Nations individuals in matters of housing and housing reform.

Regional Housing Services

Habitat for Humanity Greater Vancouver: (604) 681-5618
Vancouver Housing Authority: (360) 694-2501
Council for the Homeless Housing Solutions: (360) 695-9677
Clark County Resident Council: (360) 992-0206
Resident Advisory Board: (360) 993-9563
Metro Vancouver Housing Services: (604) 432-6200
Pacific Community Resources Society: (604) 412-7950
Sheway: (604) 216-1699
Vancouver Affordable Housing Agency
City of Vancouver Housing: (604) 873-7000

Habitat for Humanity Victoria: (250) 480-7688
Greater Victoria Housing Society: (250) 384-3434
City of Victoria Housing
Capital Region Housing Corporation: (250) 388-6422
Pacifica Housing: (250) 385-2131
Victoria Cool Aid Society: (250) 383-1977
Independent Living Housing Society: (250) 383-2524

Habitat for Humanity Mid-Vancouver Island: (250) 758-8078
Nanaimo Affordable Housing Society: (250) 755-1158
City of Nanaimo Affordable Housing: (250) 755-4464
John Howard Society: (250) 754-1266
Regional District of Nanaimo and Resource Directory: (250) 390-6510

Habitat for Humanity Upper Fraser Valley: (604) 557-1020
Abbotsford City Affordable Housing: 604-853-2281
Abbotsford Community Services – Hearthstone Place Supportive Housing: (604) 776-5060

Habitat for Humanity Kamloops: (250) 314-6783
Kamloops Safe Housing Society: (250) 851-2720
City of Kamloops Housing and Homelessness: (250) 828-3758
Interior Community Services Housing Programs: (250) 554-3134

Habitat for Humanity Okanagan: (778) 755-4346
City of Kelowna Affordable Housing: (250) 469-8773
KCR Community Services: (250) 763-8008
Society of Hope: (778) 478-7977
CCHS Housing: (250) 862-3206
Seniors Outreach & Resource Centre Housing Directory

Prince George
Aboriginal Housing Society: (250) 564-9794
Elizabeth Fry Housing Society: (250) 563-1113
City of Prince George Accessible Housing: (250) 561-7657

Has your long-term disability claim been denied? Contact Share Lawyers and put our experience to work for you. We have recently settled cases against Standard Life, Desjardins, Manulife, RBC Insurance, Sun Life, and much more. We offer free consultations and there are no fees unless we win your case. Find out if you have a disability case.